The spread and infection of computers through malware (worms, viruses, trojans, etc.) has become a major threat to all computer users. The College provides Symantec Antivirus to all students, faculty and staff free of charge to help combat this problem. ALL computers connected to the campus network (wired, wireless, or on ResNet) are required to have up-to-date running antivirus software.
Latest threat and hoax lists:
Checking Antivirus Definitions
To verify that you have the latest antivirus definitions:
- For Microsoft Windows, go to Start, All Programs, Symantec Client Security, Symantec Antivirus, and read the date in the lower right listed under Virus Definition File. To update, click on Liveupdate and follow the on-screen instructions.
- For Apple Mac OS X, go to the yellow and black circle, select Norton Antivirus, and Open Norton Antivirus. The definition date is at the bottom. To update, under the yellow an black circle select Liveupdate and Update Everything.
Symantec Antivirus Software Downloads
For assistance with antivirus, faculty and staff should contact Helpdesk at 843.953.3375. Students should contact Student Computing Support in Addlestone Library.
Your Cougars username and password is required to download these files. This is the same password you use to log in to campus computers, check e-mail, and access the network. When prompted, use cougars\<username>.
- Symantec Antivirus (XP / Vista/ Windows7 32 bit) Version 12.1.1101.401
- Symantec Antivirus (XP / Vista/ Windows7 64 bit) Version 12.1.1101.401
Symantec Antivirus for Apple Macintosh:
- Mac OS X 10.5 and higher Version 12.1.1000.0157
College of Charleston Antivirus Policy
Read the College of Charleston Antivirus Policy.