Classroom Upgrade Project
OverviewInformation Technology at the College of Charleston has embarked on a major project to upgrade the technology in the classrooms across campus.
The project objectives are:
- to collaborate with the academic community to identify classrooms in need of a technology upgrade;
- to provide an easy-to-use and reliable audio/visual experience for faculty and students;
- design sustainable and scalable technology standards for classrooms that meet the needs of the faculty;
- gather ongoing feedback from users to evaluate the overall audio/visual experience.
Our focus, based on feedback from the department chairs and faculty, is to add technology to non-technology classrooms, and also to target classrooms with technology that are unreliable and troublesome for faculty and students.
The classroom technology upgrade will provide benefits to the users through:
- user-friendly interface and control systems;
- standardized and consistent technology design among classrooms;
- flexible, scalable and future-ready technology systems;
- improved audio/visual experience for students and faculty.
Sustainable Technology Design
Input from the campus community and best practices from other institutions are shaping the College's technology designs. For a list of the classroom technology designs, please visit: College of Charleston Technology Classroom Designs.
Progress and Tentative Timeline
Fiscal Year 2013
Twenty classrooms have been upgraded for the Fiscal Year 2013. For a complete list of classrooms, please visit: Classroom Technology Upgrade FY 13 List.
Fiscal Year 2014
Overall, twenty-eight classrooms have been upgraded as part of the fiscal year 2014 Classroom Technology Project. For a complete list of classrooms, please visit: Classroom Technology Upgrade FY 14 List.
Fiscal Year 2015
IT and Physical Plant plan to upgrade 28 classrooms for fiscal year 2015.
|Classroom||Scheduled Start Date||Standards|
|ECTR 219||March 2015||Gold|
|JC LONG 336||March 2015||Silver|
|ECTR 116||May 2015||Gold|
|ECTR 118||May 2015||Gold|
|RSS 102||June 2015||Silver|
|RSS 104||June 2015||Silver|
|RSS 106||June 2015||Silver|
|ECTR 107||June 2015||Silver|
IT worked closely with the Registrar’s office to identify swing space for the above classrooms. Respective department chairs and faculty teaching in the classrooms will be notified of the following:
- the exact dates the classroom will be upgraded (usually 10 business days)
- the appropriate swing space for the users
- a description of the technology upgrade
- available training opportunities for users in the classroom
- completion date
As IT prioritizes and selects the classrooms, the following criterion is taken into consideration.
- Campus input (Academia, Registrar’s Office, Space Management, IT, Physical Plant )
- Level of technology to be provided, and resulting cost
- Space planning/strategic planning
- Infrastructure (i.e. additional cabling, network and support)
- ADA Compliance (i.e. building access)
- Availability of rooms to allow the necessary testing and installation
- Historical data from Helpdesk regarding classroom support requests
For a video tutorial on how to operate the technology equipment in the upgraded classrooms, please visit: http://blogs.cofc.edu/tlt/technology/quick-guide-to-upgraded-classrooms. If you are interested in SMART Board training, please visit: http://www.tlt.eventbrite.com to sign up for a small group training session.
Frequently Asked Questions
Based on faculty feedback, IT has created a FAQ document regarding the new classroom technology design and process. You can view it at: Frequently Asked Questions - Classroom Technology.
You can view a brief video (M4V) of ECTR 102 and 120 to get a glimpse of the new and improved classrooms.
If you have any questions about this project, please contact Monica Lavin, firstname.lastname@example.org.