TechQual+ Survey 2012
This report summarizes the findings of the Fall 2012 TechQual+ survey about IT at the College. It interprets the findings and describes action plans for IT to address many of the needs expressed by the population who responded to the survey. IT understands the issues raised by our user community and is working to correspondingly improve our services and support for you.
1,660 respondents (students, faculty and staff) clicked-on the link to the survey. 1,239 answered one or more of the survey questions with 1,207 completing the entire survey.
- Download the Interpretation of the 2012 Techqual+ Results and IT Action Plans (PDF 592 KB)
- Download the full 2012 TechQual+ Report (PDF 604 KB)
Important Themes from User Suggestions
- Improved and more reliable network performance is wanted. The campus wireless network (Wi-Fi) was singled-out as not meeting performance expectations.
- There is a need or desire to be provided with basic technology training.
- IT’s ability to provide reliable, comprehensive search capabilities within our main website (http://www.cofc.edu) is insufficient.
- Technology support staff were found to be polite and courteous.
- The core MyCharleston portal and OAKS content should be made available via a mobile app.
- Additional technology that is reliable and user-friendly is needed in classrooms.
- Some HelpDesk (HD) support personnel lack depth of technical knowledge. Most of these responses also recognized that it is probably unreasonable to expect that HD support personnel would have the deep skill sets that many faculty and staff might require given the variety and volume of systems supported.
- There is a deficiency in the responsiveness to submitted HD tickets and to the timely communications back to the user about the updated status of their HD service tickets.
Expectation Outcomes by Students/Faculty/Staff
Analysis of the effectiveness of technology service by distinct groups (students, faculty or staff), yielded the following conclusions:
- Students responded that the delivered IT services are above their minimum expectations in 8 of the 13 core survey questions or areas that they rated.
- Faculty responded that the delivered IT services are above their minimum expectations in 2 of the 13 core survey questions or areas that they rated.
- Staff responded that the delivered IT services are above their minimum expectations in 1 of the 13 core survey questions or areas that they rated.
Wordle is a tool for generating “word clouds” from provided text. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. The wordle below is generated from the TechQual+ survey suggestions of the faculty, staff, and students. Click image for larger view.
Sample Suggestions Received
- We do not have consistent wireless in our office building and as I work with students on a constant basis, it makes it difficult if students are trying to access the internet on their laptop or iPad and are unable to do so. I also hear complaints about wireless in the Residence Halls quite often, although I know it is slowly being remedied.
- We must be mobile. We're consistently upstaged by other universities and their mobile capabilities.
- Students searching for us are turned off by the lack of ease within our websites. The click downs have got to be shortened.
- Many of the "smart classrooms" are outdated with incredibly slow computers and insufficient WiFi access.
- Increase helpdesk hours…Faculty work 24/7.
- While the site index is fairly easy to use, links to departmental websites and online resources are sometimes outdated and searches are mis-directed.
- I find that since I use a MAC the Helpdesk isn't always able to help that quickly- They should be better trained on Macs.